Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bourstonne (how the locals say Boston)

Well I must admit the first thing I loved when I got off the plane, was the way the true Bostonians (is that a word?) speak. It is with an American accent of course, but I think you all know that accent I mean..."you want a cup of coiffeee" kinda accent??



On my 7th day here for work, living out of a suitcase for the last 3 weeks, I am ashamed to say I haven't really tried to find out too much about the city I have called home for just over a week. With Americans on my crew, I have learnt that Boston is home to quite a substantial amount of American history, and on walking around the city, I have also discovered there is such a thing as the Freedom Trail, however the most I have seen on this trip, I am sorry to say, is the inside of my hotel room catching up on sleep I haven't really lost, oh and the Apple stores I have come to have a junkie type addiction to. Oh and New Kids on the Block originated from Boston.


I left home around 3 weeks ago, for an OS work trip. I am here in Boston, enjoying the erm, hotel. Seriously I have done nothing noteworthy (I have discovered late night television and a TV show soon to come to Australia called Flight of the Conchords!!!) and at the risk of being as my father said on MSN last week, "blasé to world travel now", it really is hard to enjoy a new place, when you don't have the same kinda like minded people to share it with.


Unlike flying for a big commercial airline and arriving in Hong Kong for 2 nights, with 16 crew on board of varying ages and interests, you were bound to find a kindred spirit with which to either grab a bite to eat, discover the cultural tastes on offer, or go out on a booze fuelled discovery of bars and clubs til dawn then straight to the hotel buffet for breakfast (my favourite thing to do!).

My crew all over 40 and married.


Don't get me wrong, these guys are absolutely lovely, however they don't have the same interests as me in what they want to do in their down time. (Their interests include jumping out of a perfectly working plane, driving all over the state and outside of it to find the best electronic bargains and looking for new luggage) Mine include, discovering local haunts (not the touristy places), fine dining, finding a gym that has a decent Body Pump class, and trying not to spend too much money...oh and seeing the Sex & the City film.



Of course, a girl of my position and experience, is not adverse to seeing the odd movie or going on a shopping expedition on my own, in fact I quite prefer doing these in the singular, however it is now getting old 3rd week in, that I am having to entertain myself in a fantastic new city I have never been to. I don't want for much, just a like minded person to exclaim "What a pretty park Boston Common is", or "How about those sirens that don't give up at any time of the day eh?"


I guess the main thing I have noticed with this kind of flying with less crew is that I am required to be more self sufficient, independent, flexible and prepared: to fly away at my passengers whim when they decide they don't want to be here anymore, to have a list of things to do before I get to my destination, and to smell the roses...I MIGHT NOT GET BACK HERE EVER AGAIN!!


Ok, tomorrow (with 2 days left here) I think I might go and do a Freedom Trail tour, or maybe even a boat trip on the harbour...or maybe might just head back to the Apple store and play on the computers.....what do you think???

7 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing!! Does sound like you are bored. I read a few blogs so will now add yours to the list and follow with interest.

much love.
Aleesa

Anonymous said...

good read dont go to stir crazzy sitting in that hotel go smell those roses

Masey said...

If you suddenly find therapy in purchasing Apple Store goods for others, then consider me putting my name down on the donor list! ;)

Anonymous said...

It's kind of annoying to have that 'quick go see everything in case you don't get back' pressure, but sometimes it works to make me motivated!!!

Was the pic of HK taken from Caine Road/Midlevels?? Kind of looks familiar and similar to one of mine... big expat area, anyway!

GirlonTour said...

Oooh I love the mid levels but sadly no this pic was taking from my hotel room on the 'dark side' (Mongkok) as my HK resident pals used to call it. We would be put up in the same hotel as EK but our crew were the ones to gain the most attention good and bad (and have now since been refused lodging!)

Anonymous said...

OMG Mongkok!!! Yes... I think I know thatstory... something about a glass and a pool... same story here, now our hotel is at THE AIRPORT!!!!!! Arggggggggggh..... (not that I have been back, but it's the thought of it!!)

GirlonTour said...

Sadly the story always seems to be about a glass and the pool haha! Wonder what the real story is, and from what I hear, MY old pals are having the stay at THE AIRPORT toooo..hmmmmmmmmm