Monday, May 4, 2009

Baby News (x2)

How does one prepare to be a godmother?
I have been bestowed the honour of god mummy for Greensies' baby girls (affectionately termed Tweensies). She is expecting twins in August and has kindly requested me, along with 3 special others, to play godparents which I am crazy excited about.

This begs the question however (for me at least), in this day and age, what is expected of a godparent??? To be honest, in my limited knowledge, it is a tradition that means that if, god forbid, anything was to come of the child's parents, as godparent you become responsible for the child's wellbeing and upbringing in their place as their guardian. But are there any other requirements other than spoiling them rotten (which I intend to do with or without the title)??? The day I was asked, I couldn't help but pop out to the nearest Gymboree (I was on a training trip in the USA) to buy some pink tutu's and matching play suits for Tweensies which I am just dying to meet!!! Of course it doesn't matter that it will be atleast 2 years before the little ones will be demanding to wear their dress ups for the weekly grocery shop. My only worry, is the other god mummy going to spoil her twin as much as I will mine ;)

We celebrated with a baby shower in the style I am most fond of, High Tea with a glass or 3 of champagne.


Venue: Tisane Tea Room
Location: Fortitude Valley, Brisbane

I need your help? What do you think being a God Parent involves? Anything I need to know in preparation?



4 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Carrie Nicole said...

Congratulations! Being asked to be godparent is really a great honor :)

I wasn't sure how to prepare for it either when my good friends asked me to be godmother to their now 5 year old daughter. She is a very special girl and has gone through a lot...she was born with a heart defect and just had her 3rd open heart surgery in January.

I have tried (even though we don't live close) to foster a special relationship with her and always remind her that I'm here for her for absolutely anything she may need. To be a friend to her, an auntie, a godmother, and an example.

I think godparents have have a special bond with their godchildren and it's also just plain fun!!

congrats, you'll be a wonderful godmother :) xoxo

Anonymous said...

congratulations, that is wonderful. Twins will love the pink outfits. I think if the mom named you a godmother she must have a lot of respect and love for you. Congrats again!!!

EmBelISH said...

Hi there,
you need to be the one that your goddaughter can come to for anything she doesnt feel comfortable talking to her parents about, you are cool level headed Aunty Rob :D also I think it is important to be that extra "wealth" of knowledge for her, tell her about all your travels and tales and her little mind will be opened to the big wide world, it is nice for a child to get an adults perspective from someone other than her parents and they have chosen you as they trust you to do this big job well.
All the best, cant wait to see pics, when are the Tweensies due?
x
Em

Girl on Tour said...

Great advice ladies! Thank you so much! I will really need in come August!