Monday, June 8, 2009

Delicious Raw Sushi


Ok, well most Raw Sushi is raw by nature (raw tuna or salmon usually) however I got the idea to make this RAW dish from Fitnessista and trialled it on my fellow FA and pal from London Commercial Airline days, B, after I discovered Jicama at my local supermarket (can you believe it? In the Middle East? I was uber excited.) after a midnight excursion to the supermarket on camp. Here is B trying to find her favourite box of dates to nom nom nom on. I got the recipe for the Tuna part here (second recipe).

So following the rough directions and also adding a bit of my own flair I came up with these rolls.


B (who is also on the Big Fat Raw Experiment with me) loved them more than I did initially but wasn't til my 5th one that I started to actually enjoy the taste without having to smother them in Tamari (wheat free version of Soy). Ideally I should have made a large green salad to enjoy on the side, but we were so excited to trial these mock tuna sushi rolls that we just hoed into them. YUMMO.

After dinner B complained of a chocolate craving. So out I pulled my Cacao Butter (little over it's expiry date so needed to use it up). Having no recipe I basically followed my gut and added a whole heap of Cacao Powder to the butter I slowly melted over a bowl of hot water. I added a touch of Lacuma and once it was all melted, I placed some raisins and dried cranberries into my ice trays and ladled in the chocolatey goodness. 10 minutes in the freezer and we had RAW chocolate pieces. YUMMO. Pretty decadent and not something I would not eat everyday, but just enough to get a taste without too much guilt. Double YUM!

4 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Carla said...

It all sounds so delicious...especially the chocolate. How do you find the raw diet so far?

In_Flight said...

I like california roll. I've yet to be brave, and try other forms of sushi.

Girl on Tour said...

Hey Carla!

I find once I get my momentum is it easy. I just need to be well prepared and then the rest is easy peasy.

Carrie Nicole said...

I just tried making rolls with the jicama "rice" a couple months back and it was really really good!

I am drooling over your raw chocolate! YUMMERS