Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Goodbye 2008, Hello 2009

Wow, I never knew how busy this time of year would be for me considering I do celebrate Christmas however I am living in a non Christian country and I can count on one hand how many times I have heard any holiday greetings and we are only days away from the big day. I guess many years of working through Christmas have desensitised me to the 'specialness' of this day plus being away from family and close friends just make it a little easier to bear if you don't get too wrapped up in the day. Plus I can no longer get excited over the turkey feast as I grow a conscience for our planet and for my body, so really to me it just reminds me the reason why we celebrate it in the first place which has got to be a good thing right?

I love living in a country where I am able to experience a completely new culture, where my captain comes to work with a flask of arabic coffee to share with the rest of the non muslim crew, which his wife lovingly made for him to break his fast with some homemade baked date treats (when Muslim's fast for any reason, it is customary to break their fast with arabic coffee and dates at sunset). I often have to remind myself when I do find other aspects of living here quite difficult (not being able to drive etc), that this is an experience I am really blessed to have. I even get to share in some local traditions with some young arab friends I have made, for example partying (no alcohol mind you) on the beach til the early hours including dancing and games and being invited to Iftar* during Ramadan.

With or without Christmas I think this is always a busy time of year as it draws to a close and businesses and people work towards tying up lose ends before the New Year. New goals, opportunities and beginnings are just around the corner. As we wrap up the end of the year, it is a great time to reflect on what we have achieved, what we can improve on and generally just give thanks for what we have. Merry Christmas everyone and have a fantastic New Year!

How are you celebrating Christmas/New Year this year?

*The name of the meal at the end of the day which signifies the breaking of their daily fast during Ramdan

Photobucket

9 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Girl on Tour said...

Hi Everyone!

I am sorry that I deleted these comments accidentally

SkyHighBoy wrote: Awww very well said GoT! I shall celebrate some Christmas cheer for you, even though I'll be working and overnighting in Hobart! We get Santa hats to wear on board and choccies to hand out! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too hun! =D

saleel wrote: Hi, Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year 2009This is saleel from Dubai. Few days back you have asked for my email and i have sent that. I have added your blog to my blogroll. Please take a look at my blog.When you are free please add me too.

Megan wrote: Wow! Came across your blog! I'm a Flight Attendant in the US! Just wanted to say hello and Merry Christmas! What a great opportunity to experience such a different culture! Hope you enjoy the holidays and the New Year! :)

carine wrote: Girl on Tour, I was looking forward for your next post since its been I few days since you wrote hahaha... You write really well, love your blog! French is my first langage so sometimes I try to write new words on my blog LOL but I stay with the basic words so I dont make silly grammatical mistakes in my english writtings!!! I dont have much to do since I am on vacation and leaving in a week for the Emirates. Do you live in Dubai? I know, Xmas is a crazy time, even if people dont celebrate it, I mean its a busy travelling time. Hopefully you have some time off to celebrate! have fun celebrating! I wish you a very nice Christmas and a happy New Years. may all your wishes come true! Carine

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Girl on Tour!

I personally love Turkish coffee--every time we eat at a middle eastern restaurant I am sure to order it.

Facecrowd said...

Merry Christmas!!It's always interesting to go thru ur posts!

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed, it is a great time to reflect, give thanks, and be happy for what we have and the wonderful people in our lives.

I'll be in Los Angeles celebration Christmas with my family. New Year's ~ TBD.

Wishing you much health, happiness, and prosperity this holiday and in the coming year.

UpUpnAAway said...

Merry Christmas...from Texas, We are back and had such a fantastic time in your homeland & New Zealand, I can't wait to return.. As it was we returned a couple of days later than scheduled so we could add more fun to our vacation..( I said hello to Lita for you... the day we did the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb)

We made it home in time to enjoy Christmas Eve with family.

Vacation was Fantastic, but it sure is going to be nice...being home for Christmas this year!!

I hope you have a great time where ever your wings decide to land.....

Shelby

Liv Bambola said...

I hope you had a fantastic day... especially because it wasn't a traditional Christmas.

You're so lucky to be able to experience such a diverse culture - especially one so different to our western one.

All the very best for 2009 my dear! :) x

Traytable said...

Hope you had a great day. I was going to see if you wanted a snail-mail Xmas card but I wasn't sure if those are even allowed :P

How are your Jan travels looking, I'm heading to Singapore mid-month yay!

Casey Lorraine Thomas said...

Love this post! Some great reflections and so interesting to hear some of the cultural traditions you are a part of. Hope you have a wonderful festive season, despite the distance :)

Fida said...

I am a bit late with my answers, since I was away for a few days - without Internet connection (yes, that still happens in our day and age - smile). I don't belong to any organized religion, and so I don't celebrate Christmas. Though I grew up with Christmas - but a very simple one. The Christmas tree is decorated on December 24 and removed January 6. After church, we came home, had a small dinner 'en famille' and then received our presents from our parents and grand-parents. Godfather/godmother presents were given January 1 - when we had to visit them, and only after wishing them Happy New Year in form of a poem we received the gift. Protestants can be pretty frugal:-)