Thursday, December 4, 2008

London: I Miss You!

On my trip to London last week, apart from spending up big on new RAW toys to play with, I had the chance to catch up with some friends, rug up with some of my favourite winter scarves and pound the pavement of Central London in a way I never did when I actually lived there.

Having been back to London 3 times since I moved from there in February, I continue to discover more and more charm about the place I once called home. In fact, I do believe that when you live somewhere you have less appreciation for it, plus you tend to forgo the sightseeing for the everyday grind and you can sometimes omit seeing all it has to offer.

I cannot deny on my arrival, I had chills run down my spine as I drove past recognisable "offey's"* and kebab chain restaurants, wondering if it were nostalgia or my gut telling me I had made the right decision to leave as London and I have mixed feelings about one another. But once I had had a chance to change and plan my dinner arrangements, staying in the heart of London made me smile once more.

The Highlights
      • Meeting up with my partner in crime (Greensies) from when I lived in London (oh the stories!!!) and hailing from my own home of Brisbane, for a delicious meal and wine at delightful French restaurant Cote in Wardour street. I was finally able to meet her beautiful new man, PB, with whom she is moving to Tokyo with in one month. Expect some travel stories from there in future no doubt as she has made me promise to visit her next year. The great deal about our restaurant was the price. For a 2 course meal it was £9 and 3 course £11 if you were seated before 7pm. Such a great deal and the service was amazing. Wine too
      • Peyton & Byrne - a very British Bakery. OK so it is still not RAW but I had been recommended to visit whilst on my Detox of all places...by a British restaurateur, after I mentioned my love affair with having High Tea. Delightful Darling! I did buy some Rooibos tea to curb my guilt as well as cupcakes for my friends.
      • Dinner with another dear expat friend from home, residing in London for the last 5 years, to belatedly celebrate her engagement. Cam is planning two weddings next year, one back home and one in her fiance's home of Albania (once again, another destination on my list especially now I have a reason!) We also had French this time at Cafe Rouge, with a printed out 2 for 1 voucher from the internet, so who said the recession had to mean we could not indulge now and then. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled online now for more discounts!
      • Christmas Lights and Christmas windows at Selfridges Oxford Street. Apparently this is the first time in 40 years Santa Claus has made an appearance in the windows and they have done it in style with him appearing in a bath tab and my favourite, a red VESPA among other creations. Aw, made me sad that I will be spending Christmas in an non practising environment, so I breathed in as much festive cheer as I could.

Photo: Helena Walsh

      • Carnaby Street Christmas Decorations. This photo does it no justice.
      • Wholefoods!
      • Dim Sum at Gerrard's Corner in Chinatown. Ok so it is not RAW but I chose healthily and I had to visit for old times sake. Was the perfect antidote to a killer hangover in days gone by...this was my first solo mission here and quite a success. Somehow, no matter what you order, you never seem to pay more than £10 and you are never leaving there hungry. They have refurbished since I was last there and now have a Karaoke room downstairs for hire.
      • Dinner (again!) at Cote. Just couldn't resist and another catch up with old housemate Gem and her gorgeous new boyfriend. I'm going to give her new online store for giftcards a plug here too just because I can and I hope the word gets around about Cote too!
The lowlights
      • It snowed the day AFTER I left
      • I didn't have half the time I required to catch up with all my pals (you know who you are!)
      • I ran out of time to visit my old faithful friend, the Borough Market - only open on Thurs,Fri and Sat. Made famous by Jamie Oliver's visit's on his Vespa during programming for The Naked Chef....ooh the olive tasting and delicious mulled wine in winter held in gloved hands.YUM.
      • Primark Oxford Street - nothing more said!
      • I never got to sample the Raw & Vegan restaurants that there are plenty of in Central London. Definitely on my to do list for next time.
      • I forgot to buy my Black Uggs (which Helena has made me promise to NOT wear them outside the house- - come on Helena that is where you want to wear them most!)
*Offlicence

Photobucket

5 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Liv Bambola said...

Oh wow! Sounds like you had a fantastic time, despite the snow not getting the memo of your arrival.

I can't wait to visit the markets in London... I can't even imagine what they'll be like :)

OnlineBiashara said...

This X-mass must be in London.

Carrie Nicole said...

oh wow! your trip sounds so amazing!

i can't wait to visit London again, i'm planning for it some time in 2009. my lovely cousin has lived there for probably 20 years now and i always have so much fun when i'm there.

i've been dreaming of moving to the UK for some time now, not sure i'll make it happen but will find some way to get over there as often as i can at least!

Casey Lorraine Thomas said...

Oooh I soo know what you mean about the memories of living and London and the mix of good and bad...I'm with you there!

I'm headed back in Feb actually for the first time in 2 years so it should be quite the trip down memory lane.

Sounds like you had lots of fun!

Casey

Kristen's Raw said...

Sounds like so much fun!!!