Monday, December 8, 2008

Rose Lane

One of my prized possessions is my tiny piece of this planet back home in Brissie. I know we shouldn't have attachments to anything material, but I guess my apartment stands for all my hard work and it is a little slice of tranquility I can call my own, especially after working shift hours and many a 4 sector day. One of the happiest moment of my life was the day it became mine.It has been the home of many a cocktail making extravaganza with no less than 30 guests crammed into my tiny apartment, girlie catch ups with friends over a bottle of wine or 3, a stop in centre for my FA girlfriends, who needed a place to crash when their house was too far to drive after a long trip or a big night out in the city where a journey to their home was $20 more in cab fare.It has even been a haven for my quarrelling parents who have just needed a place of respite from each other for a few hours, only to find they both ended up on my doorstep.

Oh yes it is small but mighty this one. I have shared some lovely memories in my apartment, but most of all was when my best pal KT decided to buy the one below mine. The only downside was she moved in to her house 2 months after I moved in with the parents to save cash for my obligatory overseas stint.

After years of living overseas since that moment, KT has welcomed me into her arms and HER cloned apartment every time I venture home to visit. It feels exactly like I never left and often I go to open cupboards soon before I remind myself it is not my house.

My apartment has survived (barely) me living through the tough times in London; who really can afford to live there honestly? There were tears when I felt forced to put it on the market just to ensure I could see out my UK experience, to the detriment of my bank accounts that were appearing in the red, only to find it wasn't the best time to sell anyway (thank goodness).

I have a beautiful tenant who at my age has loved my place as if it were hers the whole 3.5 years we have been apart.

Recently KT was pleased to tell me of her intent to move out after almost 3 years and in with her darling boyfriend and therefore it meant renting her place out also. This was an exciting time, new positive changes for her and less time living out of a suitcase for both parties. But this also reminded us, as much as we both adore our little marks on the world, it is really unlikely we will both ever live there again...and even less likely that we ever get to live there at the same time and install our internal fire pole from mine to hers to save from taking those few steps extra down the external stairs.

The end of an era.


7 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Sky High Boy said...

I have no idea where Rose Lane is but it sure is pretty!
Isn't it great to come back to your own place after a 4 sector day, or even a Darwin red eye!! Just some time out from other people! Lol I sound like a recluse!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean !!! I can't believe mine is going to be an orphan for a while snif snif

Fida said...

Enjoy your slice of heaven! It's a home, it's not a Ferrari you attached yourself to - grin! And even if you would - as long as you could live without it - there's no attachment (positive thinking helps, hahaha). And such a romantic street name!

Liv Bambola said...

Looks like such a lovely piece of property too! Nice to have something to go home to :)

Girl on Tour said...

Sorry everyone! I have no idea what is happening with my site lately! I didn't post the rest of my post til today and I accidentally deleted Blondie's comment! Oops...

Traytable said...

Cute place, I miss having my own, even if I was renting... but living with flatmates has advantages in these tough economic times as well...

Kristen's Raw said...

Such a sweet post :) Sounds like one of the best places ever!