Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dinner for Three

As I sat all lonesome in my tiny yet posh galley yesterday, eating my dinner whilst my pax were in La La Land, I couldn't help but remininsce about the good ol days at a previous airline and when I look back, the memories are mostly fond.

Last night I recalled a late night flight returning home after a 24 hour layover. The manager invited me from First Class cabin where I was 'operating' (my non airline friends LOVE to make fun of that term) to the Business Class galley where I was confronted with not only a feast, but a makeshift dining table. The crew were being invited three by three to take their turn to enjoy their meal break sitting down, NOT standing in a galley picking from all the left over economy trays, NOT racing to each cabin to beat the next crew member in the last of the premium cabin pickings and NOT hiding behind a curtain out of view from prying eyes. Our dining table was made from a tray mobile, cart top linen was our table cloth and we sat on atlas boxes. Genius!

4 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Haha that is gold! :P

Sky High Boy said...

Hahaha that is so cute! how exciting!
I'm currently in week 1 of training and boy is it full-on!! there's so much information in so little time!
Today I start at 3pm and finish at 3am because we're going to the airport at midnight to play on some planes! lol!!

GirlonTour said...

Ooh playing on the planes is the best part (well until you start your 'commands' Save your voice for those ones). Enjoy this time on the planes although some nights will be tough, and also go looking around all the nooks and crannies Jo, this is the best opportunity you have to see the plane without the punters...Can't wait to hear more! Good on you!

Anonymous said...

Coming from an airline in Australia - your dinner for three looks like fine dining! After six and a half years i still cannot get used to eating my dinner in our back galley kitchen amongst the flushing of toliets, rubbish being thrust in your face mid bite, being asked if what your eating is available for passengers... and the best yet, a dirty nappy (unwrapped) within 10 metres of me, my food and an open mouth... Are you taking bookings??