Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Organising from the Inside Out????

Does anyone else ever feel like they are living in chaos? I look at my neat freak completely organised friends and boyfriend with envy and wonder how do they do it. How do they know where to go to get the receipt from the blender that they bought 6 months ago, but has now carked it and needs a warranty claim and the receipt to prove it??? I am completely living for the moment, spontaneous and never planning more than one minute ahead. I thought that translated to exciting and creative and charming, but lately it translates to DISORGANISED and STRESSFUL especially with an occupation like mine where you can end up at any end of the world at any given time.

Imagine my delight when flicking through my boyfriends library I found Organising from the Inside Out - The Foolproof System for Organising Your Home, Your Office and Your Life by Julie Morgenstern. I stayed up til 3am last night, going through all my paperwork and filing in a completely new system according to the book, that for most of you is probably elementary, but no matter how hard I try, I have never seemed to developed a system that worked. I am the person who is always rushing around trying to find my keys at the last minute, despite having only used them 10 minutes ago, I never fail to leave a possession in a hotel room on a layover and I tend to operate out of piles of paperwork all over my house, never able to find the ones that I need right at this moment.

Coincidentally, this morning whilst perusing one of my regular blogs by another flight attendant living in the Middle East, I found she had detailed how to pack a FA bag and realised that after over 6 years of doing this job, I have NO IDEA what I was doing. This is the universe trying to tell me to get my life sorted out and finally cut the crap.

As I head off on another holiday at the end of this week, I thought it was about time to sort out my clutter in my life and make things just a little simpler and easy, so on my return I can hit the ground running. So next thing to conquer is the bathroom cupboard.

More on my upcoming holiday later...very exciting, it involves catching up with friends which got postponed from last holiday and doing a detox in a tropical climate....curious??? :)

2 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Sky High Boy said...

Hehehe I'm quite a neat freak but I have to admit when it comes to receipts for warranties, I'm really bad! I usually chuck it in some corner and when I need it for whatever reason I can never find it!
Good luck with the bathroom cupboard!!! I threw out a bagful of stuff when I did mine recently!

Melissa said...

Warranty & receipts, for anything electrical, I stick in a zip-lock plastic bag in a drawer somewhere. That way it's only a matter of sifting through 20 bits of paper or card to find what you're looking for...

Thanks for the mention BTW!