Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ibeeeeeeeza Rocks!!!!

Recently I went on a girls (okay and two boys) holiday to Ibiza. I can’t say I was enticed by the late night programs years ago on Australian television showcasing ‘Brit’s Abroad’ and how to get wasted in 2 easy steps; shots and more shots. However when living in London a while ago, I witnessed firsthand, my own friends preparing each year to do the ‘Ibiza thing’ whilst I wondered what all the fuss was about. One friend in particular had been several years in a row, this being her first of abstinence.

Roll on July this year, and the six of us Ibiza inductees (all over 30 might I add!) arrive all pasty skinned and ready to dance our little hearts out. With cheat notes in hand (from our collection of experienced friends) we embark on our week on Playa d’en Bossa.

Highlights of the week include but are not limited to:

  • Optional nudity on the beach... in complete contrast to my current home country...this is where anything goes!

  • Bull Bar Breakie – €3.50 for OJ, bacon, beans, sausage, toast and 2 eggs – AMAAAZZING even the 4th day in a row

  • Bora Bora Beach Bar – if you are just beginning your day or ending the night before, great place to chill, listen to the beats, catch some rays and BYO drinks from the supermarket within walking distance

  • Amnesia on a Sat night – by far the best night for us all...granted it was our 1st night out in Ibiza, but the tunes rocked and we were just firing up
  • Space on Sundays (starts at 3pm)

  • Tiesto in residence at Privilege nightclub on Mondays (I wasn’t too impressed by the show but had to be done...also I sold my pal’s pair of sunnies she had lent to me to a random for a profit, so that was the highlight of my evening!)

  • The fashion! Where else in the world could you wear only your swimwear into a club and not look out of place?

  • L’s contacts for getting us VIP entry (although we never ended up getting around to using any of them!)

  • Venturing over to the dark side (San Antonio – the 18-25’s mecca and setting for most of those previously mentioned TV programs) to witness sunset at Cafe del Mar (we just missed sunset but that meant we at least got a table for some Sangria as everyone bailed out shortly after)

The lowlights:

  • The cost!!! Very pricey, if you plan to club, try to get wristbands off promoters that day on the beach. Makes it hard to be spontaneous and they usually mean an earlier arrival than most of us would like but you can save yourself a substantial amount of cash. Also drinks are upwards of €8 each and that is just for a beer....
  • Being frisked at Space when I was already in the club, and having my can of Red bull taken off me (the bouncer thought I had tried to smuggle in a can of Red bull when I had really just bought it from the bar for €8 10 minutes earlier and was saving it for later. Something tells me there were bigger fish to fry that day inside...hmmmm)

  • The overall service ethic...most locals don’t speak much English and although the trade is seasonal in Ibiza (most clubs and bars shut down after the closing parties in September) it can still be difficult to ask for a ride home or for assistance in a store. Taxi drivers and some shopkeepers can sometimes appear downright rude. Try to keep your cool and handy to learn a couple of basics in Español if you can.

Needless to say my next holiday is most likely to be a detox, possibly Thailand, and sooner rather than later (however the boyf and I are not adverse to perhaps booking for next years closing parties but let's talk about that AFTER the recovery?????)



0 readers decided to share their thoughts: