Monday, September 29, 2008

Walking Talking Fruit Basket

Lately I have succumbed to the Juice/Smoothie making mania that occurs to me every year or so. In preparation for my Detox retreat I am to undertake shortly, I have been existing the last couple of weeks on mainly fruit and vegetable juices, and I feel fantastic!

Anyone that has ever had the displeasure of living with me has had to endure periods of juice making and vegetable pulp flying around all corners of my kitchen whenever I am "in one of those crazy diet phases again" according to them, although I do think this is one ‘crazy diet’ that is going to stick.

I have hardly felt hungry at all these last couple of weeks and when I did 'fall off the wagon' one day and eat some delicious hot chips, boy did I pay for it. My tummy swelled up and I promised myself I would NEVER touch them again and since have had no cravings except for one of my delicious fruit or veggie concoctions.

One of my favourite smoothies (don’t knock it til you have tried it!) is a Green Juice or Smoothie, made by juicing any number of sweet fruits (I like kiwi, oranges, apples, pineapple, watermelon) and topping it off with juiced romaine lettuce (yes you heard right) and then blended with a banana and a handful of spinach. As an alternative to this, I also make a pure GREEN veggie juice with zucchinis, cucumber, celery, lettuce, spinach and an apple or two to make it a bit sweeter. I am telling you, this recipe actually tastes quite nice and gives you a better kick than a coffee (I am not kidding!!).

My once dry skin is already repairing itself and all over I am starting to feel really good. I was sick of getting up in the mornings and never really being able to wake up properly, always tempted to going back to bed. This has already become a thing of the past, and the benefits are only going to get better I am sure, so watch this space.

As I write this I am waiting for my Champion Juicer to arrive from the US which after using my supermarket brand juicer up til now, then having the pleasure of using my boyfriend's Champion, I was pleased to see that my juice quantity improved dramatically, with the remaining pulp being completely juice free and the clean up was much easier. The juicer also claims to make ice-cream, frozen smoothies and nut butters.

3 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Sky High Boy said...

Mmm I could do with a nice juice right now! I love juices but I just hate cleaning up the juicer!!
My favorite is cucumber, celery, carrots, beetroots, cabbage and green apples. Sounds mighty horrible but taste quite great!
I think the juicer you're talking about is similar to the one I have back home which does everything from ice cream to mince meat (As to who would make mince meat in a juicer I don't know!) which is awesome. Makes the cheapo machines look like crap!

GirlonTour said...

Wow, I like the sounds of that juice Jo! I had bought a cabbage to try to put it in the mix, but had forgotten it was in the fridge before I left for my holidays. Now I know it is tried and tested I will have to give it a shot!

Anonymous said...

omg Boost Juice!!! I loooooove them!

I like the lemon/ornge/sorbet one on hot days and then the energiser juice with watermelon and pineapple instead of apple... mmmm yummy