Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I Still Call Australia Home

I've just spent all morning on the phone to various banks, accountants etc, back home in Australia, sorting out my affairs, and finding that every single person I dealt with, went above and beyond what my expectations were in dealing with my requests. Each time I would thank them graciously and appear amazed somewhat, and it was only after the 3rd or 4th person I dealt with that I started to notice their confusion. Having been away so long from Australia I have totally forgotten how high their standard of customer service is just the daily norm. Now I was brought back to reality when I had to phone the UK passports office to request a copy of a receipt that I was told over the weekend by not one but two 24 hour telephone operators, would be a simple request however needing to be done during office hours. Imagine my disappointment and annoyance when I phone during office hours only to have an operator advise the request is to be done in writing, and only via fax. Then the office will deal with the request if and when they have the time. I told her I did not have a fax and she rudely reminded me that public libraries have them. This is when I told her that I reside in the desert in the Middle East, and I am lucky to have adsl, of which she was non plussed. I asked her to perhaps check with a supervisor if email was sufficient and she was not bothered. This is when I told her how unfortunate the UK was with it's service ethic (as if she cared!!) and how she in particular could learn a thing or two from her counterparts down under, then hung up. Reminded me of all the fun I had dealing with service people like this EVERYDAY in London.....Mum was right. I wouldn't appreciate Australia til I left.

3 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Masey said...

Shall I start ranting about Canada Post?

Now there's a service that comes a pretty poor runner up to just about ANY other postal service on the planet!

Al said...

Hmm, I just returned from London and I noticed the lack of that "service ethic" too. Much different than last summer when I went to Perth.

Anonymous said...

Only 'some' Aussie companies. I can't even get mine to call me back about pay,and they're meant to have one of th best IT/service departments around.