Thursday, October 2, 2008

High on the Hill with a Lonely Goatherd



On a recent trip to Austria, I was able to practice my new found confidence of Solo Travel instilled in me on my recent trip to Portugal where my boyfriend offered some really helpful solo travel tips (albeit we were travelling together and NOT solo). I was now ready to give them a trial run.
Armed with a few tasks and shopping items (including a request from friends back home to source some authentic Apple Strudel) I set off to explore beautiful Vienna. I decided early on that I wanted to hang out on my own as the crew had informed me before setting off that all they had intended to do was sink some serious Steins, and that was not on my agenda this trip.
Here are some things I experienced and discovered on my several day trip in the land of Opera, Balls and Mozart:
  • Despite English being their second language, Austrians speak more English than their German counterparts in Hamburg.

  • The city is amazingly clean.
  • No where else in the world would housekeeping leave an Apple Strudel in your room each time they made it up. YUM.
  • Sacher Torte is named after the Sacher Hotel , a dry chocolate cake with apricot jam
  • Don’t forget your credit card’s pin number!!!! After 3 attempts at a cash machine, it will withhold your card (well ok this is not new information but made my shopping expedition a little less exciting and way more frustrating!)

  • Due to my card being retained, I had to cancel my excursion to the motorbike shop to buy a new helmet for my scooter. Alas I will keep using my inherited Dirt Bike helmet a while longer (but is good for my street cred).

  • Bikram Yoga – although carried out in German if you arrive early or call beforehand you can ensure your instructor carries out the class in English as well as German. Click here for the Bikram Yoga studio in Vienna. They offer a great deal for newcomers or even if you are passing through. For 10 euros you can come and do yoga twice in 10 days. Remember to ask for Lily, she was a lovely help over the phone.

  • I can now do the Dining Out Alone. Granted I did take a good book with me to ease the pain ‘Coffee, Tea or Me', one of the original books based on the excitement of Life as a Flight Attendant set in the 1960’s. I also found that waiters are very considerate and friendly, especially to lone foreign diners. Very assistive with their suggestions on what beer to sample and also what to do in Vienna.

  • The attempt at Veganism failed yet again :( , but after my delicious Wiener Schnitzel cutlet of pork that is pounded flat, coated in flour, egg and breadcrumbs, and fried in clarified butter, I was all set to start my JUICING FEST when I got home a few days later.

  • For a girl that doesn’t really like beer (except maybe a Corona or a Singha with a hot Thai curry) I actually didn’t mind a Stein or two and looked forward to my mug with my dinner.


Photobucket Photobucket

One of my most interesting finds on one of my walking ventures around the city was the Australian Bar. A common joke is that Austria gets often confused with Australia with expats’s mail from friends and family back home sometimes doing a detour Down Under and some souvenir Tshirts for sale, have a saying “There are No Kangaroos in Austria”. Imagine my surprise when a hop skip and jump from my hotel was the Austraila Bar and Cafe which got me thinking. What is a typical Australian meal? Any suggestions welcome but all I could come up with is a Roast Lamb or a Meat Pie with Tomato Sauce.....oh and a vegemite sandwich.


For those Aussie readers (and Aussie wanabees) take a shot at my fun little poll on the right to see what REALLY should be served at an Australian/Bar????

3 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Masey said...

Seems "we" have quite the presence in Austria.

Another great Aussie bar to check out is a place called Bunny's Pub, in St Johann - the heart of the Austrian Tirol.

I had an amazing few days in St Johann hanging with the staff of Bunny's and would highly recommend the experience to anyone passing through!

Anonymous said...

Awww reminds me of my last few lone days as a Standby Crew here. I dine/lunch nearly everyday on me todd. And I second the fact that waiters/waitresses are much more pleasant when dealing with only one person. I also see you've added some cool polls there !

Keep posting ! We want more !

Becka Robinson said...

After I read this entry I had that song from The Sound of Music in my head ALL AFTERNOON! :)