Sunday, October 19, 2008

So You Wanna Detox?

This was my second time at SPA SAMUI, Koh Samui’s popular rejuvenation destination for people from all walks of life. I had much success on my first time last year with weight loss and a new vitality that I have since joined in the ranks of so many others that return more than once.

The whole idea of this kind of Detox (or rather FAST) in my mind is to get rid of the build up of many toxins in our bodies that accumulate from so many processed and refined foods we consume. My interest in diet has always been there (mainly from a weight perspective) but in the last few years I have become more in tune with nutrition as my father was diagnosed with Celiacs disease (wheat and gluten intolerance) and Diabetes is really strong in my mother’s family. In her doctor’s words, “your children stand no chance!”

With this in mind I try now to be more informed on the food choices I make, not from a weight perspective anymore, but I do believe that if you do eat correctly and get enough exercise then the weight gain or loss will just follow naturally. So basically speaking, my eye is not on the weight loss ‘ball’ anymore. It is purely about health for me now.

The program for First Timers, is usually 3 ½ days or 7 days depending on your time available, and it includes twice daily ‘Colemas’ (self administered colonics), 5 times daily herbal supplements, 5 times daily ‘Detox Drinks’ (diluted fruit juice with psyllium and betonite clay to help with the elimination process) and 2 hot broths a day. You can also purchase a couple of coconut waters (my favourite) and different juices, and the Spa has a world renown Vegetarian Restaurant (one of the top 50 in the World apparently!) . This makes it worth staying longer than your fast, so you can sample the menu either before you begin or break your fast. They even have a wonderfully delicious RAW menu (and RAW food classes).

Having said all this, as I have been slowly heading towards a more healthful life I felt I needed a little jump start once again to lead me in the right direction. For me just going to the resort is the first step in the mental preparation. Just being there and investing the time, money and mind is a move in the right direction for me. Oh and the meditation, massages and the sea views from my hammock don’t hurt either.


[More to come on my Detox Experience. PS I feel AMAZING!!!]


4 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Kristen's Raw said...

Wow, that sounds so great. I love the feeling of detoxing, especially when you're just about done.... light, fresh, vibrant, pure :)

Cheers,
Kristen

Becka Robinson said...

Detoxing is amazing! You're going to be so amazed at what a difference you feel. It's like, you don't realize how bad you feel until you finally fee good! :)

Fida said...

Now you really got me interested in this spa, especially since they offer raw food classes. I am in the second week of my fast (only water) and this spa is now definitively on my wish list for my next health vacation… thanks so much! Continue on your health path, and you will beat diabetes…Do you know Dr. Gabriel Cousens? One chapter in his book “Spiritual Nutrition” explains about “feeding out genes”…

Heather Poole said...

your location cracks me up - so true...will be writing about that soon, and will mention your blog when I do.

Heather Poole
www.shouldbewriting.blogspot.com
www.gadling.com/galley-gossip