Friday, October 10, 2008

Flashpacker or Backpacker?

I think I need to buy a backpack. Yes although I am GirlonTour, I have only ever stayed in one hostel in my life, and I mostly associate travel accessories with wheelie bags or suitcases. Perhaps the wheelie bag attachment I have is from my years of company issued luggage but even when I go on personal holidays I still use the same company issued bags, and ALL my suitcases and overnight bags have wheels.

Years ago when I experienced my first and only Backpackers Hostel in Waikiki, Hawaii (I heart Hawaii!), I was so embarrassed that I looked like such a backpacking amateur. Here I arrived with not one but 2 large suitcases (I was moving country and was stopping by Hawaii, LA and Mexico on the way) and they were on wheels. As I walked across the courtyard where all the seasoned backpackers were fooling around in their board shorts, dreadlocks and facial piercings, I felt like such a fish out of water....and thought they smelt my fear.

I casually dragged my two suitcases up the 3 flights of stairs to my room I was sharing with 8 other women, all the while thinking about how much of a novice I appeared. I thought I knew what I was doing embarking on this world trip solo, I had been flying for a career for 4 years already. This was my life. WRONG.

Fast forward a couple of years to my first trip to Thailand, last year. Of course I thought I should bring a backpack to fit in with the usual casual crowd and also to assist me rather than dragging my luggage through the uneven paving or the dirt from reception to room, but I was staying in a ground level spa resort so I thought it would be no bother and wasn’t sure I would get the use out of a backpack. Plus I am still not sure if I am the backpacking type. Sure I love camping and the great outdoors, but who wouldn’t rather drag their luggage than carry it on their back. This time it wasn’t such a pain, however I did appear to look out of place and put me forward as the ‘flashpacker’ amongst the other bohemian types already checked in.

Today I decided to change rooms at the resort I am staying at, as I saw a mouse in my room (no food in my room sorry Ratatouille, I am on Day 3 of my FAST), and I was tiring of the mountainous walk to my room several times a day. Fine when you are in top shape, however when you are not eating for a week, yes you feel the need to nap for an hour after the climb.

On arrival here a few days ago, one of the staff drove me and my luggage up the hill to my initial room then carried the suitcase the 3 stories up. Needless to say I tipped him well. However today, a different staff member refused to take the golf cart up to the base of the stairs, (in broken Thai-English I think we both worked out that the cart wouldn’t make it this time?) so not only did he and I have to walk the steep hill to the base of the stairs, but we also had to climb them, then walk the suitcase down again.

I wonder if it is too late for me to invest in a backpack.

First had to walk up here......


Then here...


And here...


And here...


And here...


To arrive here...




7 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Liv Bambola said...

Oh. My. God. What a trek!!! I suppose you can find solace in the fact that the accommodation looks DIVINE and those views are just extraordinary!!
Would you mind sharing with me where you stayed? I'll have to put it on my to do list!

GirlonTour said...

Sure liv/e in both senses...I have it saved for a soon to be posted 'post'. I am on detox here and it is wonderful, and quite affordable too. Stay tuned! ;)

Anonymous said...

amazing blog very interesting...fun

Sky High Boy said...

Ouch, all those stairs look hedious! You could train for your triathlon on that!! lol!
but the accommodation looks lovely though! Enjoy yourself there!

Fida said...

Thank you for being so nice to my blog :-) I can only return the compliment. You lucky girl! I should go do the fast with you instead of doing my own at home! By the way, I am pondering the same thing as you. I am going on a trip to Mexico, but I don't wan't to take my big 60 liter backpack, and I don't want to take my suitcase, so I was thinking of only taking my carry on. But yesterday I found this littel 30 litre backpack on wheels. Not sure yet... still pondering...

Anonymous said...

What a walk to an amazing view. I bet it was worth it!

Kez said...

AWW How beautiful. I went to Thailand with the hubby for our honeymoon last December and I just miss it so much. It was the best.
Your bloggings make me miss it even more!
Oh and thanks for visiting my blog :)