Monday, October 6, 2008

My Brief Encounter with Dubai

Yes it sounds like I am always on holiday right? Well kind of right. I do always seem to be living out of a suitcase (either for work or pleasure), and although I am very lucky to have so many stamps in my passports and abilities to say Hello, Thank you and Goodbye in multiple languages, there are some negatives to my lifestyle as well. One of them was that my planned and paid for holidays earlier in the year got delayed due to a change in work commitments, so an intended trip to visit some friends on my debut to the land of the Burj was canned by me so at least I would still make my girls trip to Ibiza.

This was not a total loss however, as recently I was able to make up for the lost time with friends in Dubai on my way through to my DETOX DESTINATION (more on this in a future post). As sightseeing was not highest on my agenda, I am afraid to say that I cannot comment on much of what Dubai has to offer apart from never ending hotel buffets, amazing nail bars, stunning views of Dubai Marina from friend’s wonderfully glamourous high rise apartment windows, and a never ending supply of beautiful people. Coming from where I normally reside, Dubai was appealing to me as a very LIVEABLE city.

The objective of this trip was to catch up with my close pals who had recently relocated there and with only 2 nights available to do so, much of which was spent eating and drinking, I was continually reminded I did not come to Dubai at the best time of the year to see it’s ‘Party Prowess’ as it was the last week of Ramadan. Despite the lack of music in the popular expat hangouts however, we managed to do some damage to ourselves all in the name of fun.

Having said that I intend to stop in once again on my way back home post DETOX (and hopefully with some iron-clad discipline NOT to over indulge – hard to do I imagine at a Friday Brunch???). Hopefully this time I hope to tick the Ski Dubai box, Mall of Emirates as well as experience a Desert Safari I have heard so much about complete with sand 4WD’ing, belly dancing and shisha.

Can any Emirati readers suggest anything else that is a must see on my next stopover in a few weeks?

5 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Anonymous said...

MOE, my favooooouuuuuuuurite.

Kristen's Raw said...

Ahhh, I do love to travel... your blog makes me want to up and go again soon!

Cheers,
Kristen

Liv Bambola said...

Thanks for the lovely comments! What kind of work do you do that sends you in and around the Middle East...and the world too! I'm just gonna take a look see into the life of a travelling worker :)

GirlonTour said...

Come and visit me Kristen and do a RAW Class for us!!! Then you can do RAW and travel!

liv/e in both senses; WELCOME!! I am a flight attendant which sends me all over the globe (very lucky indeed) Thanks for visiting.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Saleel from Dubai. Nice to read your article. Next time when you come you can visit 'DUBAI MALL'. Basically its a mall. But there is a huge fish aquarium i mean its large. it has already registered in "Guiness books".
I want to tell you some more places to visit. I can't remeber now. because ia m reading your post in a busy timing. I will inform you sure.