Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It Began with a Detox and Ended with a World Famous Full Moon Party...Oops: Koh Phanghan, Thailand

Align CenterPhotobucket

Well everyone needs to be a bit a little naughty sometimes right?

Feeling the picture of health, a few kilos lighter and with a fresh air of radiance following my detox at Spa Samui, the little devil on my shoulder (her name is Ra*) says to me, "You know how we are breaking our fast tomorrow? Well actually you are, because I broke mine last week, but anyway, it falls in line completely with the Full Moon Party. It's a full moon tomorrow night!"

My eyes almost touch her. You have got to be kidding me. I have just spent the last 9 days being kind to myself, I know these things only end up the way they were intended...MESSY. I mean I know what can only happen to me in places like this. As much as I thrive in a beautiful sanctuary environment like the Spa, for some crazy reason I happen to thrive in party places as well. Especially if excess is the key and the venue is one of the world's beautiful beaches (read: Koh Phanghan) and dancing all night is on the agenda.

These parties are world famous and apparently began in 1987 or 1988 when it started as just a birthday party or a few people strumming guitars on the beach. Today, thousands of party goers descend on the beach of Hat Rin, to dance under the full moon to beats pumping out of the many bars lining the beach. In low season up to 8,000 revellers can show but in high season, up to as many as 30,000 come to dance into the dawn.

Koh Phanghan Full Moon Party

This party was definitely on my THINGS TO DO BEFORE I DIE list, however was not ideal that it fell in line with the day I was due to break my fast. I thought I was being a little mischievous heading out for a cooked (vegan) dinner planned with the friends I had made as most of us were departing the following day, however this party could not be passed up.

Of course, it was exactly what I expected, lots of crazy souls lining the beach by 10pm, drinking whisky buckets sold by the locals, sharing them or dancing around them as they unknowingly kicked sand into their beverage pails. I did break my fast rather dastardly, I had a couple of drinks and I splurged on a vegetarian spring roll a the end of the night.

I had a brilliant time, I could have partied harder, but maintained some restraint whilst still allowing myself to have some fun. I mean aren't some rules meant to be broken? Plus the next morning will always remind you what you are NOT missing out on by passing up a few hard nights out with friends although they are still fun sometimes ;)

Photobucket

3 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Becka Robinson said...

Sounds really cool. Bravo for checking something off your life list!

Sky High Boy said...

Ah, a bucket of whiskey - what a perfect way to end a detox! It looked fun!

Anonymous said...

C'mon.... if it's on the list then it's justifiable and doesn't count toward diet-wrecking :p