Saturday, October 25, 2008

Welcome to My Fast

On arrival at Spa Samui, I was greeted with some herbal capsules and a piece of litmus paper for me to test my PH levels should I be too acidic to begin my fast the following day. I became accustomed to my new surrounds almost immediately by reading in my hammock in the tree tops. The last time I was here, I had chosen to stay at the Beach Resort and this time I wanted to try out their neighbouring Village Resort in the rain forest. When the time came to check my PH levels in the evening, it was no surprise to me that I was NOT ready to begin my fast the following morning, considering the fun I had had with my partner in crime in Bangkok and Phuket earlier. No problem I thought, this gave me a chance to sample some of the delicious RAW and Vegan recipes at Radiance Restaurant for one more day whilst my body became more alkaline.

During the fast I made friends with fellow ‘fasters’, all from many walks of life and age groups, as we all headed to the Detox Drink Counter every 3 hours, shared in a coconut water or a broth, or just spoke of our individual experiences (of which there are many, including emotional healing, euphoria, lethargy, fuzziness, unlimited energy etc). It was nice to share what was happening with like minded individuals despite the fact we were all from varied backgrounds.

This fast, as opposed to the same program I did this time last year, was much easier for me. I believe it is because I had better prepared my body with suggested eating habits and mainly my juice fasting /feasting (my own verision) in the weeks leading up the fast. Also in my observation, a large majority of people come to the resort, because something just isn’t working in their life, either physically, emotionally or even spiritually. This time for me, I had mainly chosen to come because everything else in my life I felt quite content with, except for my diet and lifestyle choices.

Although I came to the Detox feeling happy and content with no desire to develop any particular aspect of my life other than those mentioned earlier, I did come away with more than I could of hoped. The friendships I made and the experiences I shared with these individuals is in most part why I have been longing all this week to be back in the simple relaxing rain forest, sipping on my coconut talking with my new pals about the plate of fruit we are going to devour when we finish our fast, just small talk or even sharing the results of our latest Mediation/Tarot/Birth Chart reading.

I loved this experience and I would definitely do it again (hopefully very soon!) I can see why so many farang go to Thailand on holiday only to find themselves still living there years later. In a time when it is very difficult (however I realise not impossible without a little organisation) to remain healthy most of the time with so many social obligations and crazy work patterns (our poor bodies), I would love to commit to visiting some place like this at least once a year for a ‘tune up’. I already have another trip planned to Thailand early next year, purely by accident as my little sister leaves Oz for her obligatory stint in the UK and we are going to meet half way for a few weeks. I am still working on convincing her to surrender at least 3 and half days of her holiday for us to do a mini Detox at worst, but something tells me I won’t need to do too much convincing as after all she has been living on a party island for the last 6 months. Her body will be basically begging for it. So watch this space.

Are you interested in finding out more about this Detox? Drop me a line and I will be more than happy to share this wonderful experience even further.


1 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Carrie Nicole said...

This sounds like such an amazing experience. I think having the support of other folks around would have helped me during my several attempts at fast/detox.

I have another coming up and I think my online support group is going to really be what I need to make it work!

I would love to go away, as you said, maybe once per year somewhere similar to have a bit of a 'tune up.'
Cheers!