Monday, October 13, 2008

How to 'Baggie' a Bargain

Photobucket

After years of changing currencies on an almost weekly basis, mainly due to my profession, I have perfected the way to remain organised with your money, and not have to have a zillion purses for each country’s visit.

Step in the ‘Sandwich Baggie’.

My boyfriend was horrified when shopping for bargains in Bangkok recently; I would pull out my ‘Sandwich Bag’ full of Thai Baht from visits long ago and an embarrassing amount of change. If you are like me, you just find it easier to hand over a note, and put the coinage away to be forgotten. Well forgotten no more.

I hate the thought that once you leave a country, you currency is deemed worthless unless you fancy holding up the queue at Thomas Cook Money Exchange with your handful of silver. I have a whole draw full of these bags labelled with their country of birth with some of these bags holding phone cards, travel cards and even discount cards ready for my return back to their home at some point.

If you just cannot bear to be seen in your destination of choice handling one of these, then simple. Empty your purse/wallet into another ‘baggie’ then VOILA! You have a purse/wallet now free to put your country of destinations money in. Or better still, keep a purse/wallet free ONLY for your travels and empty at the end of each visit (into a new baggie).

A word of advice though, despite my boyfriend's embarrassment at my new purse (I was just lazy to transfer it all into my wallet) we believe the ‘baggie’ helped me to secure some decent bargains, for the merchants felt sorry for me not owning a purse every time I pulled it from my handbag and thought I could perhaps use the savings to secure one.

**Update: I always try think and act as environmental as possible and in most cases these 'baggies' are reused or recycled ie I do not purchase new ones.

7 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I find making a card with the day's exchange rate is helpful too. I write the equivalent to my own currency in 1,5,10,20 and so on... takes the confusion out of haggling!

Liv Bambola said...

haha, that's such a cute idea! No need for anything flash while you're travelling!

And if it helps you save a few bob while you're at it...why wouldn't you?

Anonymous said...

This is a fabulous idea. I have pounds of (euro) change plus in Germany they want you to use correct change as they seem to have some sort of shortage with the small 2 cent pieces and whatnot. I do have a coin purse, but the zipper is broken and I always spend an agonizing 30 seconds trying to yank it open while everyone in line waits on me. Sandwich baggie, here I come.

Fida said...

What a great idea. I have 4 purses with the currency I use most, but it never dawned on me that I could use zip lock bags for the rest. I admit, I love coins. I have tons of them in a silverbowl and everytime I go through them I remember stories from places visited far away and some long ago.
And thank you for being my follower. It feels like a Chsitmas gift.

Anonymous said...

Awww I have what used to be a watch box. with all my foreign coins and notes left over from allowances. It's starting to get heavier and heavier.

Sky High Boy said...

Lol that's cute! you must have a lot of courage to use a plastic bag as your "purse", but i guess it doesn't matter when you're in a foreign place!
Ziplock bags are amazing things! I put my manual in a huge ziplock in my crew bag because I had an incident before where my moisturizer bottle blew up and went all over my bag!

GirlonTour said...

Tray - I love your idea!!!

Sky High Boy - haha, yes it does take courage, hence my boyfriend's horror, however it was not intended to be my replacement purse, just a way of keeping currencies separate. I got lazy and have kept using it. Oops