Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Next stop, Amman, Jordan

Following my trip to London last month, I had a brief chance to get to know Jordan on the way home. A couple of days in the country's capital, Amman was just the right amount of time to see the main attractions and sample some of the local fare. I had intended to make the several hour journey to check out Petra, however this is a future holiday trip for PPP and I so I contented myself with Amman.

With the crew keen to get out and about, but also not so keen to be the decision makers, I took charge and planned our outings. The only pre-requisite being the mechanic requiring a sheep skin merchant (on orders from his wife). Interesting enough whilst browsing sheep skins, I found the original 'Uggs'. Not as pretty mind you, but VERY original.







I couldn't believe how built up Amman is. But very reminiscent of Lebanon I am told, never having been.



The Roman Ampitheatre



First stop was the Roman Amphitheatre. In my opinion wasn't that exciting, but the tiny museum underneath showcased some beautiful traditional costumes. The view of the Citadel from the Amphitheatre only encouraged me and my posse to find the easiest pathway up to it as it stood on it's lonesome in the Jordanian sky scape.



On our adventure through some back pathways and staircases to the Citadel, I was accosted by several young school children (I am talking around 10 years of age) demanding my kiss or waving to me like a starstruck teen who has just seen Britney Spears. It was fun and I gave away some of my honey coated pastries that were dripping on my feet as I trekked upwards past my adoring fans to the Citadel. It was all innocent and in good fun and not in anyway sleazy like some places I've experienced in this part of the world.


The Citadel

On arrival at the Citadel we were approached by some friendly locals offering an informative tour of the surrounding ruins. Their ID displayed government certification and they relied on donation for payment. The gentleman we had was very knowledgeable and tailored the tour to our time frame. As we were close to sunset and the museum was closing in half an hour, he rushed us off to see the Dead Sea Scrolls immediately then walked us around the ruins of the Citadel and the Byzantine Church. The flagpole in the distance is the Raghadan Flagpole which can be seen from all of Amman and is the 3rd largest in the world, the first being one in Turkmenistan. The flagpole can carry a flag up to 80 square metres.

Dead Sea Scrolls, Byzantine Church & Raghadan Flagpole


Our guide was also able to drive us to very near our hotel for a delicious local schawarma (lamb and yes pre vegan days...). All in time to wrap myself up in bed for my early morning departure back home.





Photobucket


6 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Liv Bambola said...

What an amzing city! The amphitheatre looks amazing. It's big thing - considering the tools they had at the time & physics wasn't really a subject they taugh in schools.

The citadel is also phenomenal. Such a different culture & way of life.

I am biased - but I prefer our uggs. Although I imagine those would be far more comfortable!

Bambola x

Sky High Boy said...

Wow looks like you had a good time! it certainly is different from London!

Unknown said...

Hi

I recently changed my blog URL and I saw that you are a follower. I would just like to update you on the new blog URL so you don't go to a dead link when you look for the blog.

My new URL is danielleindubai.blogspot.com

Facecrowd said...

That's a lovely place,i must say..and you seriously should be sub-contracting for some travel websites!

Carla said...

Looks like a place I would love to visit. Guess I'll have to add it to my already very long list.

Unknown said...

I like the pictures you took of Amman, they look very nice. I thought it would be more boring there.