Monday, January 19, 2009

The evils of Aspartame - Get a load of this! Well, actually dont!!!

A friend of mine sent me the link to this today, and I am really glad she did. She is a doctor dealing with cancer patients all the time, and advocates a RAW lifestyle after years of tiring of treating the symptoms NOT the cause of our SAD diets and questioning "Why are so many people getting sick?".

This page and following clip are really interesting to watch exactly how much we have been fooled and how we can prevent ourselves from developing any of the nasty illnesses by checking our food labels. I have always known it wasn't such a great thing to consume (like most of us) but having the stats to back it up just makes it even harder for me not to start lecturing my passengers every time they ask for a Diet Coke.

Aspartame comes under names like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, Equal-Measure and Canderel, but is also found in many other products like:

• Diet sodas, juice drinks, and flavored waters
• Chewing gum
• Table-top sweeteners
• Diet and diabetic foods
• Some breakfast cereals
• Fiber supplements, such as orange flavored Metamucil
• Jams
• Sweets
• Certain vitamins (including childrens) as well as prescription and over the-counter drugs such as Alka Seltzer Plus, and some Tylenol medications.

Go on! Don't put blind faith in the authorities. Hear it for yourself and get informed! And another reason to consider going RAW don't ya think???





Photobucket

14 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Traytable said...

I'm terrible, I'm a real 'head in the sand' type... I figure something will get me one day, so I may as well ejoy myself.. but I really do need to start paying more attention.

Trying to eat more healthily is number one on the list of things to do this year!

Second, cut out the soda drinks... even on red-eye flights!

Tabitha said...

Thanks for the tip. I didn't even consider how they would affect my real lashes, but this is good to know!

Becka Robinson said...

Just one more point for the fact that the type of foods most of us eat are making us sick. I love that this topic is finally getting attention!

Carla said...

I've heard so many bad things about aspartame including the fact that is sometimes causes blindness. Who would want to risk it? Avoid it like the plague.

Sky High Boy said...

Oh crap, I take Equal with my coffee every morning!....
And I drink the occasional Diet Coke onboard thinking its better than regular Coke!...
I guess its just juice from now on..

Girl on Tour said...

Hi everyone!

I agree Miss Marie, people are starting to take notice now and the more you do, the more information comes to light!

Yay to you Sky High Boy! Come over to our side tee hee.

:D

Anonymous said...

Aspartame, this sick stuff is an ingredient in so many food items. My husband was chewing lots of gum but when I discovered aspartame was an ingredient in gum (not just one brand but 90% or more), I explained to him what it was and does and he quickly ceased chewing gum. Beware of that stuff.

The Flying Pinto said...

Love your blog....and I'm glad they're finally giving aspartame the bad press it deserves!Real food is the only way to go, organic and unprocessed too!

Kristen's Raw said...

I read the horrific story about aspartame many many years ago. Totally Horrific!!! I stopped consuming anything with that crap right then and there!!!

Cheers,
Kristen

Traytable said...

Do you know if aspartame comes under different names on an ingredient label? I looked at a Diet Coke today and it didn't say anything. Does it have a number like MSG?

Girl on Tour said...

Hiya Tray

Without having a can of Australian Diet coke with me to refer to, I can say with most confidence it is likely to have it in. Aspartame also goes by the code E951 amongst other names.

Hope this helps?

Traytable said...

Thanks, I'll check next time I'm at work!

I also don't give out Coke to kids travelling unaccompanied. Especially at breakfast time, just because we don't know if they realy are allowed to have it or not unless the parents say so!

I watched that video, and now I'm worried because I add Cottees cordial to my water bottle...

*rushes off to check labels*

Fida said...

I am so glad you bring that to our attention. They don’t mention Donald Rumsfeld. It’s scary that we can’t trust anybody:

In 1981, the newly appointed FDA Commissioner, Arthur Hull Hayes, ignored the negative ruling and approved aspartame for dry goods. As recorded in the Congressional Record of 1985, then CEO of Searle Laboratories Donald Rumsfeld said that he would "call in his markers" to get aspartame approved. Rumsfeld was on President Reagan's transition team and a day after taking office appointed Hayes. No FDA Commissioner in the previous sixteen years had allowed aspartame on the market.
….
The history of aspartame and its approval has a political history as well as a scientific one. According to Dr. Martini: "When Donald Rumsfeld was CEO of Searle, that conglomerate manufactured aspartame. For 16 years the FDA refused to approve it, not only because its not safe but because they wanted the company indicted for fraud. Both U.S. Prosecutors hired on with the defence team and the statute of limitations expired. They were Sam Skinner and William Conlon. Skinner went on to become Secretary of Transportation squelching the cries of the pilots who were now having seizures on this seizure triggering drug, aspartame, and then Chief of Staff under President Bush's father. Some of these people reach high places. Even Supreme Justice Clarence Thomas is a former Monsanto attorney. (Monsanto bought Searle in 1985, and sold it a few years ago). When Ashcroft became Attorney General, Thompson from King and Spalding Attorneys (another former Monsanto attorney) became deputy under Ashcroft. (Attorneys for NutraSweet and Coke).
"However, the FDA still refused to allow NutraSweet on the market. It is a deadly neurotoxic drug masquerading as an additive. It interacts with all antidepressants, L-dopa, Coumadin, hormones, insulin, all cardiac medication, and many others. It also is a chemical hyper sensitization drug so that it interacts with vaccines, other toxins, other unsafe sweeteners like Splenda which has a chlorinated base like DDT and can cause auto immune disease. It has a synergistic and additive effect with MSG. Both being excitotoxins, the aspartic acid in aspartame, and MSG, the glutamate people were found using aspartame as the placebo for MSG studies, even before it was approved. The FDA has known this for a quarter of a century and done nothing even though its against the law. Searle went on to build a NutraSweet factory and had $9 million worth of inventory.
"Donald Rumsfeld was on President Reagan's transition team and the day after he took office he appointed an FDA Commissioner who would approve aspartame. The FDA set up a Board of Inquiry of the best scientists they had to offer who said aspartame is not safe and causes brain tumors, and the petition for approval is hereby revoked. The new FDA Commissioner, Arthur Hull Hayes, over-ruled that Board of Inquiry and then went to work for the PR Agency of the manufacturer, Burson-Marstellar, rumored at $1000.00 a day, and has refused to talk to the press ever since.

Traytable said...

Ok here it doesn't have the 'E', it just says 'Sweetener' or 'Sweetener (950/951)'

At least now I know the magic number! I thought I was doing the right thing by buying those sugar free lollies... now it's Allens' Party mix from now on!!!