Monday, January 26, 2009

So You Want to Be A Flight Attendant?

Never have I had so many queries about my job since I became a flight attendant, and I am telling you, I have had a lot of varied careers before becoming a trolley dolly. The only thing close to intrigue of my current profession was when I was a live in nanny for 4 children to a single billionaire father, but hey that is another post :)

Being a Flight Attendant is definitely the best job I have ever had (the proof is in the years I have stuck to this career compared to my stints as a Secretary, Make-Up Artist, Call Centre Telephone Operator, Systems Analyst, Recruitment Consultant, Waitress, Banking Team Leader and the list goes on. So you can see being a Flight Attendant can satisfy even the most itchy of feet in someone like me.

So I am going to open this one up to you, my readers. I already have a few Q&A's ready to respond to regarding the career of a Flight Attendant and where to begin if you are at the beginning of your job hunt but before I do, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW about the supposedly glamourous profession of the skies and what it takes to be a safety officer on board an aluminum pressurised tube?

To be continued....



6 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Anonymous said...

what kind of background are Private Flying companies looking for in people ? How did you land a job in corporate flying ?

Anonymous said...

Does being in a airplane all the time ever make you feel claustrophobic? Do you ever get that itchy-nerves-ready-to-explode-feeling that you just HAVE to get off the plane and stop breathing all that recirculated air?

Do you ever suffer from travel fatigue or dehydration? Sometimes just a day or two away from home and I need a whole week of naps to recover. Do you get sick often? For some reason flying always makes me sick (cold and flu type sick).

How many days at a time are you away from home? How many days off do you get in a row? How many suitcases do you take with you? Are you good at packing or are you a chronic over-packer (and take 20 outfits and the kitchen sink like me)? What kind of passengers drive you crazy?

Okay, I have a bunch more questions but I guess I'll let others ask a few...

Carrie Nicole said...

I think I recall some of the details of the role, ie days/month worked, etc from when I applied with United (but was deemed too vertically challenged)...

hmmm, still thinking of a question ;)

Fida said...

I see, you got a new header while I was gone. Nicely don!

When I was about 4 or 5 my ant became a “Stewardess” – that was mighty glamorous to me, and obviously it was at that time and a very privileged job.

How do you deal with the stress, time difference, dehydration, the small cabins, the long flights, the short stop-over’s? I am always so ‘kaputt’ when I arrive at the destination, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy anything. But then again, you get to see and experience so many things I just can dream about.

How many days do you fly and how many days are you off? Can you take your free days somewhere else or do you always ‘go back home”?

Masey said...

Ha! Love that second last line. You just made the profession sound so glamorous and romantic! :P

Carla said...

I too would like to know the journey you took to land this job. I'm sure it must be very interesting.