Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Brisbane Storm Season (What a Mess?!!)

Oooh I sometimes wonder at times like these if I am homesick or not. Crazy I know but at times I do miss the heat that drives everyone silly, the kind that ensures you are sleeping on top of your bed sheets, careful not to connect with your equally restless bed mate, unless you are a lucky one who happens to have air con. Funnily enough for my first 10 years of enduring Brisbane's summers, the only weapon I had to combat the sticky wet humidity each night was a squeaky ceiling fan. What I do miss is those powerful rain showers that appeared to come out of nowhere, when the lurking black clouds all of a sudden are upon you, and the rain is not just a light shower, it is a downpour and the usually pacey world has to stop and breathe it all in for a moment. All for 30 minutes, then the blistering sun shines once more and all you see is the steam rising from the roads.

Last week, Brisbane suffered a little more than a harmless storm. In fact my hometown has been getting bashed with a deluge of electrical storms, torrential rain and hail and gale force winds, which have ensured that once they were over, emergency services, the army, navy and apparently even some low security prisoners were enlisted to help clean up the mess. And apparently it is not even a little bit over yet. This is only November and December is traditionally cyclone season, but to be honest, Brisbane is not coastal and isn't usually at risk. Does this mean we are starting to really see the effects of Global Warming and Climate Change?

My mum sent me through these photos (after her electricity returned after almost a week and she was not alone).


All my Brissie pals had statuses on their Facebook to the effect of "enjoying a cuppa cooked on my neighbours BBQ" & "with the kids as school is closed"(of course they were using their mobiles to write these!) With stories of neighbours pulling together fixing fences, moping up and pitching in and helping one another really demonstrating the true Australian spirit. Kevid Rudd, our Prime Minister, even made a visit to some of the worst hit zones to inspect the damage.

I know, I know, stuff like this happens all over the world and quite a bit more severe too. Brisbane was very lucky, only one fatality occurred through all the mess. I guess however, when you have your mum sending you text messages like "Thank goodness I goto Boot Camp three time a week as I am now shifting a tree off the house and moving broken roof tiles", it takes me a little while to even comprehend this happening in my home. It also makes me smile too and wonder, where is my dad and why isn't he helping!?

Photobucket

11 readers decided to share their thoughts:

UpUpnAAway said...

Don't scare me this close to my trip to your homeland...

Seriously... I hope your family is unharmed, and my thoughts and prayers are with them.

My home in Fort Worth Texas is in what we call "Tornado Alley", I've seen things that should never happend so ones homes!

Anonymous said...

Yeah it's pretty full-on hey! I would have thought it got pretty hot where you are, but then again Brissie is pretty humid! :p

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of the view from your hotel rooms! Hope your family is safe and well.

Have fun with your dehydrator--I don't have one (yet).

Tabitha said...

Thanks for your comment - looks like you were somewhat having one of those crazy "stormy" days too. Hope everything's is going better weather wise.

Blondie said...

Cuppa on the barbie? That would have to be my first priority!

Hope your family is doing okay!

Facecrowd said...

Views from Hotel section is definitely a stealer!

Becka Robinson said...

Wow. We just made it out of our hurricane season here in Florida and it wasn't a bad season at all. Thank God.

Fida said...

Oh my, you start out so harmless – and I already had made up my mind what to write – that I can’t stand the humidity and heat but that I am all with you in the rain – naked of course.
And then you continue with that catastrophic report! What a disaster. Katherine Hepburn’s comment would probably have been: “Oh, shit.”
I just hope all is well with your family and friends.

GirlonTour said...

UpUpNAAway - listen it really isn't that scary. You will be fine! Just a great place to visit..when are you going again?

Tray - yeah it kinda gets humid here, but it is over, and we are now wearing jumpers, woo hoo

Fida - yeah 'oh shit' haha I love it.

All is well at home and things are starting to return to normal for everyone. Thank you so much for all your well wishes. It appears there is much more to worry about in the world right now with current sad events.

Isle Dance said...

We never seem to stop longing for home, it seems. And what fun, enjoying your adventures away! :o)

Anonymous said...

the storms were pretty insane... brisbane was badly hit, the sunny coast escaped most of it though.

however last night on the news they were saying there is a high possibility of an actual cyclone hitting south-east queensland this summer... :S