Tuesday, November 11, 2008

No 2. Wonder of the Week: Great Wall of China

TRAYTABLE, the author's of one of my favourite regular blogs and a fellow flight attendant, got it in one. My second wonder for last week was the Great Wall of China. You go girl! Wow is really all I can say about the World Marvel, oh and you too Tray :)

After speaking with a colleague who had first seen the wall via Badaling, we had all agreed we wanted to travel further out of Beijing by half an hour to a less populated area to visit the wall, at Mutianyu where we could chair lift it up, and toboggan it back down. Perfect.
On arrival I was greeted by stalls and stalls of souvenirs catered to the many tourists spilling out the mini bus doors on a daily basis, however this day due to the balmy weather, we were not too inundated with other sightseers. I was in heaven immediately as I bought up big on many sun dried fruits and nuts from the stall owners where their produce was a plenty. YUM! My Raw Foodie Friends would have loved it. Except I was put off my dried strawberry when one of the pilots referred to the recent melamine scare.

Once up at the main part of the wall for this region, our guide Mike, would drop tidbits of trivia about either the Wall or China history itself (well worth getting your own personal guide), and although it was a VERY cold day and overcast, we could see the wall winding for miles and the autumn colours in the trees were a perfect back drop. The pilots were determined to walk to the top, only to find that at each 'top' there was further to walk to the next 'top'. Didn't they know that the Great Wall is the only man made structure visible from the moon?

The following day, I managed to make it to the Forbidden City, across the road from Tienanmen Square, for a few hours of wandering through the grounds where you are free to even walk through the to the concubines residences. It was totally out of this world.
As you have probably guessed China was part of my amazing trip and I got more than I bargained for in my down time.

More on the shopping later! (When my credit cards are not hurting so much).

Photobucket

10 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are THE world traveler. I'm feeling a little guilty, I haven't done a wink of traveling or exploring in weeks. I love traveling in cooler weather--less tourists! Does the language barrier ever scare you a little bit? Since I generally only travel in Germany and surrounding countries, I don't have to worry that much--but you go everywhere!

Anonymous said...

That must have been amazing, it's somewhere I've always wanted to go!

Becka Robinson said...

I heard of a marathon they do annually on the great wall and am dying to sign up. It looks gorgeous!

Tagged you in a meme:
http://miss-mrs.blogspot.com/2008/11/beer-nudder-and-other-amusements.html

Goli said...

Stumbled on your blog through google, I must say that I am truly impressed.

And these are lovely pictures.

:O)

--
Goli

Sky High Boy said...

LOL @ the pilots!
They just like going up to the top to be near the clouds!
Melamine scare or not, dried strawberries sound yummo!
And as usual, great pictures!... Need to find some time (and money) to travel around Asia in the future!

Anonymous said...

O.M.G.

I want to go just for the toboggan!!! :P

And 'awwwwwwwww' to your comments re: my blog. I like yours too! :P

Fida said...

I have to change jobs :-)

Susanna-Cole King said...

Wow so awesome that you're traveling so freely, sounds amazing! Lovely pictures, and in 5th and 6th pictures... is that a giant slide? I love slides, looks like a blast! :D

Thanks also for your comment, glad you like my blog! :)

GirlonTour said...

Hee hee so many lovely comments!

Bev - I know! I cannot believe how much I am getting to see since having left commercial flying. I truly pinch myself and am grateful. The language barrier doesn't concern me too much as I tend to stay in quite large touristy places and try to learn some local speak to get me by.

Miss Marie - Thanks for the meme, I'll go check it out! Everyone else should too!

Goli - Thanks and welcome!!

SC - Yeah! It was a Toboggan/Slide. Well worth the visit just for that. I did want to go again, and one of the local chinese tourists, even did it with a newborn on her lap :O

Liv Bambola said...

WOAH! How cool! Love the pics! Why do you want blue sky when you can see two wonders of the world in a week!?

China would have been an amazing place, so different from Western culture!

Hope you had the best time ;)