Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Playing with the Boys

Beach Volleyball

Last week, I had the good fortune of being able to play in a tournament. Not just any tournament. A MIXED BEACH VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT. Yay! I have loved beach volleyball ever since my old gym back in Brisbane about 7 years ago decided they needed to diversify and get some courts built outside their facility to bring in the bucks. Plus it was at the height of Brissie girls Kerri Pottharst and Natalie Cook's world beach volleyball reign and everyone in Oz thought it was their birthright to strut and pull some moves on the sand court. Certainly the male participants hoped we would wear as little as Nat and Kerri on the court too.

Since moving to the Middle East, I have thrown myself into some new sports and hobbies like joining a ladies football/soccer team (season starts next week...weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!), but truly all I was waiting for was for a beach volleyball fixture to be organised. Come on we all know the topography in one of the biggest sand pits in the world is just crying out to have a giant beach volleyball match right?

As a trial run, a friend arranged an all day tournament to gauge future interest for other matches or competitions, and I am pleased to say it was definitely a success. It was really great to meet new people as there were young and old, athletic and not so much rallying to take on the other teams.

I must admit though, days like this really teach you so much more about yourself. In new group environments, I can go one of two ways. Usually I either jump headfirst into the action, or else I shy away and hope the ground will open up and swallow me whole. Sport tends to have me at the former. Growing up as a regular tomboy, representing my regions for softball and netball, and being the neighbourhood’s most accomplished rollerskate driveway dancer (seriously), I tend to throw myself straight into my new sport even if I have not read the rules.

I guess the main thing I discovered about myself from this wonderfully amusing day on the beach, was that I tend to be just a tad competitive, however I am not bothered if we win or lose on the day, I just want to see the team work well together throughout the play. Things I like to encourage include communication and strategy. For example, I don’t think there is anything wrong with gently (but loudly) reminding the ‘never played but keen to try something new’ lady on the team that she should ‘CALL THE BALL!!!’ And it doesn’t matter so much really does it, if I make sure I repeat it a few times until my whole team of 6 is ‘calling the ball’ and then committing to it? Directing my team to BLOCK, SET and STRIKE really isn’t too competitive or aggressive is it?

Oh dear, maybe I need to just relax and realise the whole point of the day is to have fun and introduce new players to this wonderful sport. Now come to think of it I think I know why the organiser got me to sub in on EVERY match. His ‘strategy’ was to perhaps tire me out so that everyone could get a break from me.

Despite all my sportiness, honestly I still don’t even know who won the day.... :)

Photobucket

5 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Wow well done on the sportiness, sounds like good fun! I'm the same in new situations.. I either get in there with the action or for some reason shy away.

Liv Bambola said...

Teehee! No definitely not you! I can't do text speak either. I can do ur, wanna, gonna, kinda...that's about it. It takes me a good few minutes to decipher some of my friends emails!

I didn't add her to my blog list, I couldn't.

As I was writing that post, I kept wondering if I made any errors. I hope not!

Beach volleyball is such good fun... to watch. I'm yet to play it...must do that!

Wizardress said...

That looks like so much fun! I haven't played volleyball in years, and don't think I've ever played in the sand.

Thanks for the info about the camera on my journal. I'm going to check it out.

Have a great day *hugs*

Tabitha said...

Thanks for your comment - I wish we had good enough weather to play outdoor volleyball. :)

Becka Robinson said...

Oh my gosh! I played volleyball competitively for about 8 years and I am no longer fun to play with I'm sure. I take it so seriously once I start playing. LOL.