Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Flight Attendants Reunion: Singapore

Who else other than those in our profession of Trolly Dolly can say, "oh you wanna meet up for a drink in Singapore this week?" to our friends who reside in London whilst you live in the Sandpit and will be travelling from China.

This is quite often the norm for those of us in the aviation industry in particular, especially those who have worked for a number of carriers and tend to travel to a great deal of destinations, including those ports we used to fly to in our past lives at previous airlines. Don't get me wrong I am not being blasé to world travel, it is just something we take for granted when it becomes part of your daily grind, plus most of us would never be able to afford this amount of travel on the small income we earn, so there has to be some upside.

This week was my first time to put it into practice, and after a quick sweep on Facebook through my status, to alert my world wide pals to my arrival into Singapore, I was able to find that not only one, but three of my previous work colleagues were due to arrive into Singapore the same night as me, two of which were in my initial training group over two years ago when I worked for an Aussie carrier (and it was one of the girl's birthdays too - what a bonus!).

Having only been to this city previously for work with the same said airline a handful of times, the layover was never long enough for me to explore more than the Subway Restaurant which was in walking distance or the poolside. I was excited this time to have my pals show me what nightlife Singapore had to offer, I didn't let it bother me that it was only Monday night.

A couple of Raspberry Mojitos to begin with at New Asia as the crew had to hit the heavy stuff early or else they would flake out following their direct arrival from London (a 12 hour flight through their night) and were still going strong to their credit. The birthday girl then led us to one of the only bars that would stand a chance of having a least some crowd, and of course we knew for sure the majority of patrons would be aircrew (where else do you find body clock deficient people ready to party at any time of the day or week whilst all Monday to Friday'ers are enviably ready to tuck up into bed). The Bar: aptly named Insomnia. Singapore's sister to Lang Kwai Fong's (Hong Kong) bar of the same name. The cover band is almost a duplication; fun & frivalous singing catchy recognisable tunes (there is always a Cranberries number in there!), and the inside/outside bar layout almost makes you think you are back in the Kong version after a couple of Apple Martini's (my new favourite cocktail).

A few tipsy dances and some catch ups as to 'where are we now' and how many are left from our initial training group (I think I remember vaguely about 5 out of 20???), then before I would know it, in true FA# style, a couple of my pals have left without even saying goodbye. I realised this probably an hour after they had left! Who knows why we do it, but I guess we seem to live in a time warp by missing whole nights of sleep, where months can seem to pass like days and maybe somewhere in the back of our minds we know we will reconnect in another foreign city on a layover. Thanks for the catch up guys!

#FA - Flight Attendant


7 readers decided to share their thoughts:

Sky High Boy said...

Did you manage to squeeze in some shopping in Singapore too???
Isn't it good to meet up with mates downroute! I always seem to find someone I know to have drinks with in PER since we tend to take up like 3/4 of the hotel there and there's always crew in the bar, day or night! Aren't Apple Martinis great? That and Lychee Martinis and I'm set.
Actually, after my day today I wouldn't mind one right now!

Fida said...

Can you actually keep trak of all the places you visit? Apple Martini sounds delicous - woulnd't mind to join you next time at the Insomnia :-) (at least in my dreams - grin)

Anonymous said...

oooh SIN. Love that place... It seems you stay very near or inside the Carlton, that's my guess, cause everytime I went to Singapore there was Subway very close. Also I recomment Attica club in Clark Quay.... And about the meeting down route I can only urge FAs to sign up with DOPPLR so you're travels can published and it makes it very easy to catch up in random places !

Anonymous said...

OMG, I got totally wiped there on one of my first international trips... much memories. Everyone is so sad Gatsby's is no more... :(

Anonymous said...

Martinis and clubbing in Singapore. What a life!

GirlonTour said...

Hi everyone, thanks for stopping by!

SHBoy - No shopping unfortunately, my whole day there was spent in a hairdressers chair! 6 hours of serious work that has been neglected on my hair. More on that later :p

Fida - sure you know it can be hard to keep track of all these places. I don't tend to travel this far and wide so often but we are understaffed right now, so therefore the many trips in such a short time. And that is what this blog is for tee hee.

Airboy - I am not sure if we are near the Carlton but I do know of two Subways in the area I have stayed in both with this company and my previous airline. SIN is such a small place however, I think it takes 45 mins to drive from one end to the other.

Aash - look I like Singapore and it would help break up your journey. Any chance to see any country you have never been to I would encourage but do your research and work out if it is for you in terms of what you are looking for. That link you provided is fantastic!

:D

Goli said...

Hey,
Dont you people find it tuff, I have a friend who is in your profession, and there is not right time to call her.

I can expect her to be awake at midnight, sleeping in afternoon, in singapore, maldives, india or wherever, eating odd things at odd times and so on.

Really appreciate, how do you people manage.

:)